Study online from home (in Canada or internationally) or in-person with Dan in the Quebec area.
Dan has extensive teaching experience as private instructor, clinician, lecturer, and collegiate/university professor.
- Saxophone Lessons: saxophone technique (major, bebop, minor, dominant scales, arpeggios, additional scales and various technical exercises), improve/maintain tone and pitch control, balance technical proficiency across full range of the horn.
- Jazz Theory for All Instruments: functional harmony based on jazz pianist Barry Harris’ Functional Harmony. Dan Faulk studied privately with Barry for nearly 3 years, studying theory and functional harmony theory with the bebop master: In 1992, Barry was a featured guest on Dan’s Focusing In CD for Criss Cross records. Dan teaches the 1-4-5 approach to harmony, diminished substitutions, bebop scales, and transcription techniques. Students increase technical prowess on their instruments, strengthen ear training, and are encouraged to continue developing their artistry and musicality throughout these studies.
- Modal Jazz Improvisation and Post-Bop Concepts: Dan’s advanced students continue with studies in pentatonic, modes, bi-tonality/multi-tonality re-harmonization, and analysis of songs utilizing functional and modal harmony. Universal concepts like forward motion are also explored. Dan also studied extensively with legendary jazz saxophonists Benny Golson, Joe Lovano, and Bill Pierce, studying a vast array of post-bop concepts with both saxophonists.
- Jazz Composition: Dan also teaches jazz composition students from beginning to advanced levels. He has written and recorded numerous compositions on several recordings. He has received several grants for exceptional compositions and has taught composition at universities and privately.
- Ensemble Coaching: Dan enjoys working with small jazz ensembles to help enhance interpretation of repertory, strengthen rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic cohesiveness, maximize effectiveness of arrangements, and generally further develop performers’ ensemble conception.
Dan is available for lessons in Montreal or via online lessons. If you’re interested in lessons with Dan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Dan on Facebook @ Reach Dan @ Facebook